Melanie Grimes Blog, writer, screenwriter, homeopath. Writing on food as medicine, natural treatments for common illnesses, integrative medicine, natural remedies, complementary medicine, and fun stuff.
Natural medicine, naturopathic medicine, integrative medicine and functional medicine.
Melanie Grimes is a medical writer, a journal editor and natural health educator.
Fireworks toxins can damage your health. Fireworks contain potassium perchlorate and other heavy metals such as dioxin, cadmium, and lead. These toxins land on the soil and can leak into lakes and enter the food chain. Avoid exposure to fireworks by remaining inside or far away from the fireworks displays.
What toxins are in fireworks? Fireworks toxins include potassium perchlorate, gunpowder, and metals such as aluminum, dioxin, rubidium, cadmium, antimony, mercury, lithium, arsenic and lead. Potassium perchlorate is an ingredient in rocket fuel. It can reduce the body’s ability to absorb iodine, which is critical to thyroid health. The gunpowder used in fireworks can contain a mix of potassium nitrate, sulphur and charcoal. However, the potassium perchlorate is often used in place of the potassium nitrate because its chemical reactions are more stable.
Chemical added to fireworks
Copper is added to make blue fireworks and they can create cancerous dioxins if the chemical reactions of the s are not complete. Dioxin can cause skin lesions as well as issues with blood sugar and hormonal regulation. The green color is fireworks is made by the metal barium. Exposure to barium can cause diarrhea and other digestive issues, muscle weakness and difficulty breathing. Extreme exposure to barium can lead to irregular heartbeats and even death. Sulphur dioxide is a byproduct of sulfur combustion. This is the same ingredient that causes acid rain, affection crops and the water supply.